Friday, August 22, 2008

Friday Excitement

"Laurel and Hardy's the best bet at 4am on a Friday.
No dreads about the working day after though.
Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed.
They don't mean quite so much,
except you get hang out with your working friends."

--Primus

I got my first Weekends Off job in 1999, and my roommate at the time told me on one of the first Friday evenings: "dude, you look so happy to not have to work weekends anymore." For months, literally, I would yell "Weekends OFF!!!" on nearly every such 2-day celebration occasion. The heavy dose of beer and whisky I enjoyed far too much of during college (and for several years afterwards) had nothing to do with my enthusiasm, I can assure you.

So today is marks the end of my second week of unemployment, and I arrived home this evening around 7pm in full excitement of the normal Friday relief of yet another week in the rat race. Granted, I don't have to peruse job offers for the next two days, but other than that there won't be much of a difference this so-called Week End than the now usual daily activity reserved for me, but I feel practically giddy right now. Maybe it's because now, after the initial 2-week grace period is complete, I can finally turn in my unemployment paperwork and get that first fat paycheck. CHA-CHING!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How much do these unemployment checks come out to?!?! I've always resorted to panhandling in times of crisis.